Sunday, May 8, 2011

Procrastinational Productivity

Senioritis has been in full effect for as long as I can remember, so I'm forgoing my reading and studying and all the other things a good student should be doing to start a freakin blog. Haven't written one since the days of LiveJournal, MySpace and snooping parents. Hopefully the scars have healed and this will be a productive outlet.

My motivation for writing again now is that I will soon (hopefull1y) be departing for two years as a Peace Corps volunteer! So I want to have a place to let everyone who cares to stop by know how I am doing and what I am up to while I'm away. First, some background...

Two aunts and one uncle served in Senegal in the early 1970s, so Peace Corps is sort of in the family. I became seriously interested in joining up about a year and a half ago, for a myriad of reasons. Service to my country and those with whom I will live, personal enrichment, language learning, and the ability to live (pretty well!) in another country for two years without spending a ton of money.

I applied in late September, interviewed in early December, was nominated in late December, was medically cleared two weeks ago, and was qualified for service Thursday! Only a little over seven months- and that's not even that bad! So I wait yet again, one of the last times in this long trail of waitings. But this should be short; my placement officer is supposed to call within the next week or so and she already told me she wants to invite me to a program in francophone sub-Saharan Africa, teaching English, leaving July 11. But the Peace Corps has to give 8 weeks notice minimum, so if I were to be invited to that program they would have to notify me by... next Monday, May 16. So I guess I wait a week, and know I might be going somewhere else if I don't hear anything by then. Apparently, the delay is because of budget fighting in Congress, with placement officers not knowing which programs will be funded (which leave in two months!).

Anyway enough for someone who doesn't even have an invite yet. More when I hear from DC, or in a week.

Peace, love, justice

No comments:

Post a Comment