Monday, January 9, 2012

Authenticity

This post is not a general update; it is about the idea of authenticity.

I should explain. I was reading a fellow PCV's blog a few weeks ago, and was intrigued by its argument. The author wrote about how glad he was that he doesn't have electricity at his site because he feels he has had a better or more real Peace Corps experience without it.

As a PCV in an urban setting, with electricity, running water, and access to the Internet, I find this type of argument a little unsettling to say the least. Actually, I was a little offended by the implication that I am having a lesser Peace Corps experience because I do have access to more "luxuries" than the author. I guess the irony that he lamented the spread of technology in Peace Corps life in a blog post was lost on him.

The idea of the "real Peace Corps experience" is not a new one, and is similar to other claims of authenticity. You aren't a real Lakers fan because you aren't from LA. He isn't a real black man because he "acts white." Some of these claims are obviously more benign than others, but comparing them can get you thinking about which are reasonable and which aren't.

I have two aunts and an uncle who were PCVs in Senegal from 1969-1972, before the Internet and even cell phones. They are blown away that I can Skype with my parents so easily and have commented on how much the Peace Corps experience has changed since they were volunteers. They were certainly not blogging, though the "real" PCVs of today who live without electricity still can when they are in larger towns (every PCV goes at least once a month for banking).

There is no question that having electricity and running water makes my life easier here, and that being able to talk with people back home is really nice. But the hardest part of Peace Corps is not the separation from electricity and running water, or even the Internet. The hardest part is being away from everything that is familiar and comfortable: friends and family, American culture, your native language. I have just as hard a time being away from these things, the important things, as any other volunteer. Plus, the difficulty of PCV life shouldn't determine how authentic one's experience is (though it certainly earns the respect of fellow PCVs like myself). I think I will get just as much out of my Peace Corps experience being plugged in as I would have had I been completely off the grid, thank you very much.

But I think what really bothers me about calling some Peace Corps experiences more real or authentic than others is that the standard for a "real" experience seems quite similar to Western notions of the "real" Africa. The "real" PCV lives in the village, without modern amenities, cut off from the rest of civilization, just like "real" Africans do. The ones in the cities, with electricity and nice homes, the ability to satisfy their every need, are not "really" Africans or PCVs. They are imposters, coddled Westerners who just happen to live in Africa.

The point is that what makes a PCV a PCV or an African an African are not superficial things like electricity. In the case of Africans, the idea of citizenship should be used in place of culture or ethnicity in determining who is African (if you are a citizen of an African country, you are African). For PCVs, living for two years in an underdeveloped country far from home with the goal of educating and empowering individuals and communities is a sufficient standard.

I taught two classes of 60 students today and struggled with Malagasy language and talkative kids, though I now feel incredibly good considering it is the Monday of the first week of school after Christmas vacation. Now I'm blogging about it, and I'm really glad I can share my thoughts and experiences with you.

Arabaina tratra ny taona daholo! (Happy new year everyone!)

1 comment:

  1. Evan, a really interesting blog post. I agree, the PC experience is different, I am sure, for every volunteer. One could also make the argument that the real Peace Corps is going to Africa and not Central America, or that digging ditches and latrines is more authentic than teaching or being a business volunteer. Your observations about the essential nature of PC I believe are correct. You are certainly out of your comfort zone, home culture, and are doing the work of helping people around the world on behalf of the American people. Technology is affecting Africa too and I think people would be surprised to see how different the Malagasy are from their view of what an "African" person is. Africa is such a huge, diverse continent with so many different cultures and histories. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete